Featured Post

10,000 Hours

In his book  Outliers , Malcolm Gladwell (author of The Tipping Point and Blink ) maintains that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be wor...

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

10,000 Hours

In his book Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell (author of The Tipping Point and Blink) maintains that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be world-class good at something. According to my rough calculations, I have spent 5,500 hours studying and performing improv since my first class in 1991. More if you count shows I've seen. And even more if you count reading and thinking about it. In San Francisco, it was easy -- it's a world-class improv city, with tons of talented improvisors, a supportive audience base, and plenty of performance and class opportunities. Since moving to Maine in September, however, I have been missing that rich improv culture. I figure I have two choices: I can sit here and miss the life I had, or I can get up and make the life I want. I declare 2009 to be a Year of Improv. 4,500 hours to go ... Let the games (and the long-form, and the singing, and whatever else may be in store) begin!

3 comments:

  1. whoohoo! What a great way to look at the practice of improv. I need to do me up some improv math AND I hope some more of my 2009 hours get to be improvising with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, that's why your blog's called 10,000 hours. I learnt this in a Cognition class I took last year. Since then, I've also been keeping track of the number of hours I put into my line of work. I like your style of keeping track of total hours 'this week' and 'this month'. I think I will copy you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog -- what a great way to give yourself incentive! Now I'm curious how many hours I've been doing improv -- my box of old day-calendars is calling...

    ReplyDelete